Beer Sheva Park is located in the Rainer Beach neighborhood at 8650 55th Ave S, 98118. It is 25.5 acres.
This cove at Lake Washington was the site of an early pioneer settlement called Rainier Beach. In the late 1800’s, the site became the terminus for a trolley line – the first and longest interurban line in the state – connecting to downtown Seattle along a route that would later become Rainier Avenue. The trolleys were intended to encourage development of this area, which by 1905 had been platted as the Atlantic City Addition.
In their 1908 report, the Olmsted Brothers recognized the park that had been platted by developers, along with the rest of the Atlantic City Addition. John Charles recommended extending a parkway along Lake Washington’s shoreline that would connect Seward Park to Atlantic City Park (today’s Beer Sheva Park) and Pritchard Island Beach. John Charles also proposed additional parkway traveling westward from this location and connecting to Beacon Hill, West Seattle and South Park.
When the level of Lake Washington was lowered in 1917, a boathouse and pier in the park were left “high and dry.” (Sherwood files)