City Hall Park is located at 450 3rd Ave, 98119. It is 1.3 acres
Bordered to the north by the King County Public Safety Building, this former battlefield is now a small walking and sitting space filled with grass, trees, benches, small tables, and chairs. City Hall Park was the site of an Indian attack on the pioneer village in 1856. Known as the “Battle of Seattle” it was allegedly led by Chief Leschi of the Nisqually Native American tribe, who was hanged for murder in 1858 and later exonerated in 2004. In 1883 the site was purchased by King County and a frame courthouse was constructed. A second courthouse was built to the east, on “Profanity Hill”, so dubbed by judges and lawyers who climbed the hill daily. This is now the site of Harborview Hospital. The frame building and site were finally sold in 1890 to the City for City Hall. In 1911, Mayor Dilling asked the Park Dept. to improve and maintain its “only downtown park.” From 1942 through 1944 the site was a drill ground and outdoor recreation field for Seattle Air Defense Wing Fighter Command with quarters at Frye Hotel on the opposite southeast corner. In 1955 a pin oak tree was planted to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the United Nations, and in 1962 city offices were moved into the Municipal Building at 4th and James.