Denny Blaine Park is located in the Denny Blaine neighborhood at 200 Lake Washington Blvd E, 98112. It is 2.0 acres.
In their 1903 report, the Olmsted Brothers recommended acquiring a contiguous strip of land, from roughly 40th Ave/Newport Way/Grand Ave to the shoreline of Lake Washington, from Spring Street north to East Thomas Street, for park purposes. Both Howell Park and Denny Blaine Park are included in this area.
Denny Blaine Park was originally a privately-owned park and part of the Denny-Blaine Lake Park Addition development plat, filed in 1901. This subdivision included numerous other small parks, including Viretta Park, Howell Park, Denny Blaine Lake Park (not to be confused with this park), and Stevens Triangle. The parks were platted in 1901 and were dedicated “. . . to the use of public. . .and park maintenance as fountain and parks. . . forever.”
Originally named “Whitman Place,” this park was developed as water access with a turnaround and included a seawall and boat landing, both of which became defunct with the lowering of Lake Washington in 1917. The lower lake levels exposed a sloping, usable beach delineated by the seawall, which remains as a reminder of the former shoreline. The park was transferred to city ownership in 1932.