A “Duwamish River Park,” never realized, was proposed for an area of the river shoreline south of Georgetown.
This site was proposed for a park and playfield in the Olmsted Brothers’ 1910 report. Acknowledging that plans for a Duwamish ship canal — which would substantially alter the course of the river — had not yet been finalized, Olmsted argued that “now is the time to secure one or more playground parks on the river.” He earmarked an unplatted area “between the wagon bridge [near Myrtle and 10th] to South Park and the Seattle Electric Company’s power plant in Georgetown” as a possible park site. Olmsted then described possible amenities for such a location and park, noting that it “has a sufficiently long frontage on the river to afford a satisfactory promenade for the general public, part of which might be along a handsome terrace wall and part along a sandy gravel beach,” the latter of which would “interest little children more than a river bank wall.” With the straightening of the Duwamish River in 1913, however, this onetime riverfront became inland area.
Today, there are a few small riverfront lots for public enjoyment along the banks of the Duwamish. These include 8th Avenue South Park (operated by the Port of Seattle), Duwamish Waterway Park, and Duwamish River Public Viewpoint.
The location shown on the map is approximate and based on early maps of the original Duwamish waterway and written description of early bridges that used to serve South Park.