Howell Park is located in the Leschi neighborhood at 1740 Howell Pl, 98122. It is 1.2 acres.
In their 1903 report, the Olmsted Brothers recommended acquiring a contiguous strip of land, from roughly 40th Ave/Newport Way/Grand Ave to the shoreline of Lake Washington, from Spring Street north to East Thomas Street, for park purposes. Both Howell Park and Denny Blaine Park are included in this area.
Howell Park was originally a privately-owned park and part of the Denny-Blaine Lake Park Addition development plat, filed in 1901. This subdivision included numerous other small parks, including Viretta Park, Denny Blaine Lake Park, Denny Blaine Park (not to be confused with the former), and Stevens Triangle. The parks were platted in 1901 and were dedicated “. . . to the use of public. . .and park maintenance as fountain and parks. . . forever.”
Howell Park occupies a particularly steep (4:1 slope) shoreline area. Originally lumped together with the other subdivision parks under the moniker “Denny-Blaine parks,” this parcel was later named “Children’s Park” and, eventually, Howell Park.