Leschi Park is located in the Leschi neighborhood at 201 Lakeside Ave. S, 98122. It is 18.5 acres.
Leschi Park, as with Frink Park and Colman Park, is located within a steeply sloped area referred to in Olmsted’s 1903 report as the “Rainier Heights Landslide Section.” In his 1903 report, John Charles proposed an ambitious undertaking to acquire this entire length of steep slope for park purposes, warning of the land’s unsuitability for subdivision development: “Houses will probably continue to be moved gradually on to adjoining land owned by someone else, and there will be no end to the trouble, expense and inconvenience due to the continuation of the slide if it is allowed to become occupied by houses. . . . On the other hand, the movement of the land would be of small consequence if the ground is turned into a public park.” This area is generally east of 31st/32nd Ave and extends approximately from Plum Street on the south end to Yesler Way to the north. Olmsted also proposed a “crestline parkway” that would run along the top of this slope and provide occasional views to Lake Washington and mountains beyond. This ambitious plan was never realized, but selected parcels within this area were either donated to or purchased by the city for parkland.
John Charles Olmsted visited Leschi Park, an existing “street railway recreation ground”, with the Park Commissioners on his second day in Seattle. Leschi Park was incorporated as part of the Olmsted Plan and consists of 18.5 acres bordering Lake Washington. Lake Washington Boulevard descends through the western edge of the park from Frink Park north to the lake shore. Historically the site was a camp site used by Coast Salish people. The early park included a dance pavilion, cable car terminus and ferry and steamboat terminal. Today, the eastern portion contains a moorage, playground, tennis court and meadows, while the hilly western portion remains forested.