What is today known collectively as the West Duwamish Greenbelt comprises several properties owned by Seattle Parks and providing extensive wooded open space with trails throughout the eastern slopes of West Seattle. One property, at the north point of the ridge between Delridge and the Duwamish, is commonly known as Pigeon Point. This area was recommended for acquisition by Olmsted in his 1908 Supplemental report.
Olmsted proposed 1.5 acres be purchased, one acre of which was a fairly level area “situated above the bluff” and “command[ing] an excellent view of the harbor.” Another half-acre would capture the “steep bluffs” adjacent to this view spot. In their 1909 report, the board of park commissioners likewise noted that the site “has a commanding view of the harbor and business section of the city and makes an ideal view point.”
This site is not to be confused with Pigeon Point Park, which is located several blocks south of this point.