The park is located in the Loyal Heights neighborhood at 7531 34th Ave NW, 98117. It is 2.7 acres.
This parcel was gifted to the city of Ballard as a park by Mr. and Mrs. George A Moomaw in 1903, and it became part of Seattle’s park system with the area’s annexation in 1907.
In his 1908 supplemental report to the Board of Park Commissioners, John Charles Olmsted recommended that the city purchase additional land, totaling 45 acres and referred to as “Ballard Bluff Park” that would supplement this property. He described the park as situated on “sloping land” overlooking the Sound. He proposed an area bounded by 75th Street to the south, 32nd Avenue to the east, and the Great Northern (now Burlington Northern Santa Fe) railroad tracks down the slope to the west. Golden Gardens, a privately-owned “streetcar destination” park at the time, would border the site on the north. He envisioned a viewpoint area along the bluff and playfields on the level area to the east of the bluff.
The eastern portion was subdivided and developed into a residential neighborhood, but the city developed a park at the edge of the bluff for viewing Puget Sound and the distant Olympic Mountains. Although Olmsted’s vision of extend this park northward to Golden Gardens was never realized, in the 1930’s a path lined with rhododendrons was created to connect the two parks.